More Able in Episkopi
More Able Pupils at Episkopi Primary School
At Episkopi Primary, we are committed to enabling all pupils to be successful and achieve their full potential in an environment that is secure, caring and focused on learning. We have in place a broad curriculum, enhanced by a programme of strategies that provide pupils with the skills to become independent and confident thinkers and learners, equipped to meet continuing challenge and change.
The school believes that there should be no limits placed on any pupils’ potential. We will always look for talents in all pupils, seeking to provide the enhanced opportunities appropriate to their needs. This will be through the taught curriculum as well as extra-curricular opportunities.
The school’s More Able Co-ordinator is Mrs Rebecca Ross. If you would like to find out more our identification and provision for more able learners, please make an appointment through the School Office.
We provide a rich and varied curriculum that can be accessed by all, regardless of ability across a range of subjects. Through skillful teacher assessment of learning and achievement, we identify pupils who are working beyond the expected standard and those that have the potential to exceed.
These children are then provided with extension for learning, which can include:
- Richer and deeper questions;
- More complex problem-solving;
- Access to a broader range of texts or other stimuli;
- Opportunities to use skills in a range of contexts;
- Differentiated materials/activities within the curriculum area;
- Working in partnership with parents/carers and the local community to promote and celebrate aspiration, ability and achievement;
- Working in partnership with other schools on island to provide enrichment opportunities where pupils from different schools work together
- Ensuring there is a breadth and depth of opportunity that allows pupils to develop abilities and talents.
All staff share responsibility for ensuring that students are happy, motivated and achieve to the best of their abilities while they are at Episkopi Primary School.
We have recently achieved the NACE Challenge Award. This is an accreditation that ensures our provision for the more able group is excellent, that we challenge all abilities and meet the specific needs of the more able. The NACE Challenge Award is recognised by external bodies, such as Ofsted, as a mark of quality provision.
“The school provides a rich and broad curriculum which provides a wide range of stimulating, relevant learning opportunities which engage and excite its pupils. Very good use is made of the local context, geography, climate and adult expertise on the base to deepen understanding and inspire pupils.”