About the PE and sport premium
All young people should have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. A positive experience of sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation and is central to meeting the MOD School’s ambitions for a world-class education system.
Physical activity has numerous benefits for children and young people’s physical health, as well as their mental wellbeing (increasing self-esteem and emotional wellbeing and lowering anxiety and depression), and children who are physically active are happier, more resilient and more trusting of their peers. Ensuring that pupils have access to sufficient daily activity can also have wider benefits for pupils and schools, improving behaviour as well as enhancing academic achievement.
How will the PE and sport premium funding be used at Episkopi?
Episkopi School use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the physical education (PE), physical activity and sport we provide including:
- funding a specialist PE LSA to support teachers in PE lessons and to enhance and deliver outstanding PE provision across the school.
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport that our school provides
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining our school in future years
- providing targeted activities or support to involve and encourage the least active children
- encouraging active play during break times and lunchtimes
- raising attainment in primary school swimming to meet requirements of the national curriculum before the end of key stage 2. Every child should leave our school able to swim
- embedding physical activity into the school day through encouraging active travel to and from school, active break times and holding active lessons and teaching
- providing staff with professional development, mentoring, appropriate training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively to all pupils, and embed physical activity across our school
- introducing a new range of sports and physical activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- partnering with other schools to run sports and physical activities
- providing more and broadening the variety of extra-curricular activities after school, delivered by the school or other local sports organisations
- organising, coordinating or entering more sport competitions or tournaments within our school or across the local area, including those run by sporting organisations
What will the impact be of the PE and sport premium funding at Episkopi?
At Episkopi School our objective is to improve the quality of existing PE teaching through continuing professional learning in PE for generalists, so that all primary pupils improve their health, skills and physical literacy, and have a broader exposure to a range of sports. Furthermore, we aim to increase the participation levels in competitive sport and healthy activity of all the pupils and to maintain the high values and quality of PE and sports across the school, including its use as a tool for whole school improvement.